The History of Joe’s Barber Shop
Founded in 1954 by the late Joseph G. Scotillo, Joe’s Barber Shop has been faithfully serving the people of McHenry County!
Joe attended barber school in 1945. In 1950, he moved to Crystal Lake and began working at the 91 Williams Street Barber Shop, which he eventually purchased in 1954. In 1959, Joe took Jack McArdle, the current owner, under his wing and taught him everything he knows!
On June 6,1960, Joe opened the current location at 29 Williams Street, where he employed five barbers. In 1962, Joe sold the original shop at 91 Williams Street. In 1986, upon his retirement, he sold the current location to Jack McArdle and Leroy Zoellick. Jack became the sole owner in 1996 when he purchased Leroy’s share of the business.
Our beloved Joe passed away on April 11, 2009 at the age of 87.